NZESF.net

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Sam
Johnno
6 posters

"Being choked just part of job for top dog"

Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 1270
    Position / Job Title : Police & Fire
    Registration date : 2008-02-14

"Being choked just part of job for top dog" Empty "Being choked just part of job for top dog"

Post by Johnno Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:40 pm

WTF, since when has being chocked been part of ANYONE's job?!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10868965

5:30 AM Monday Mar 4, 2013

Loui was unconscious when handler fired warning shot to stop offender's attack, police say

A police dog known for his determination to get his man was back at work yesterday, days after being throttled by a man police were trying to catch.

Loui, who had cuts and bruises after the skirmish near Hamilton on Thursday, has apprehended hundreds of criminals during his seven years on duty.

Sergeant Mark Sandford of Waikato police dog section said Loui, who works with the Armed Offender Squad, "doesn't give up easy".

"He's one of the best police dogs I've ever seen. He has a huge work ethic.

"One of his proven traits is when he is tracking he just keeps hunting until he gets them."

It was this effort which almost cost the German shepherd his life when he caught up to 31-year-old Alex Tereora.

Tereora was one of two men being sought by police after a high-speed pursuit from Cambridge to Tamahere on the southern outskirts of Hamilton, where police laid road spikes.

Police said Tereora and and 34-year-old John Koteka fled in their Holden Commodore car when officers signalled them to stop near Cambridge.

Police abandoned the pursuit when it reached speeds of 180km/h, but seconds later the car hit the road spikes and crashed.

Despite being injured, Tereora was chased by Loui and two dog handlers to a nearby trucking yard where he allegedly assaulted an officer before fleeing again, with the police dog close behind.

Hamilton City area commander Greg Nicholls said that moments later Loui's handler came around a corner to find the dog being choked.

The handler, who has not been identified, fired a warning shot into the air and Tereora fled.

When Loui, who had passed out, regained consciousness he leaped back into action, helping his handler to arrest the offender, police said.

Mr Sandford said Loui got a couple of days off to recover from the assault, and was given anti-inflammatory drugs by a vet.

But other than a little TLC, "it was all in a day's work really", Mr Sandford said.

He said Loui was a highly regarded police dog whose career included several hundred tracking successes.

Most notably he tracked and found a group of thieves in Paeroa who had a 40-minute head start when they stole and then ditched a car and guns.

He once found a culprit hiding beneath a trapdoor in a house and who otherwise wouldn't have been found, and apprehended a man hiding in the basement of a house containing a meth lab. The man also had a gun.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority is overseeing an investigation into the pursuit and the police dog handler's decision to fire the warning shot.
    Sam
    Sam
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 714
    Position / Job Title : Sloth
    Registration date : 2008-03-05

"Being choked just part of job for top dog" Empty Re: "Being choked just part of job for top dog"

Post by Sam Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Sadly it seems that NZESF is well and truly dead now. (Sorry to derail the topic Johnno!) Hardly any posts anymore or visits Sad
    Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

"Being choked just part of job for top dog" Empty Re: "Being choked just part of job for top dog"

Post by Johnno Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:21 pm

No worries, looks like you're right though. :-(
    Mattz
    Mattz
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 279
    Position / Job Title : In the pool, the Waiting Pool
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by Mattz Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:39 am

I still pop by every few days to see if anything is happening.

Personally it's been over two years since I received my letter and New Cops bag, I haven't heard anything at all from anyone and the local RO's are no longer doing that job. I'm too old, white and male was the last thing I was told by my RO. Even though it appears to be a lost cause I will keep logging in Smile
    JD
    Senior Constable
    Senior Constable

Number of posts : 67
    Position / Job Title : Police recruit
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by JD Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:26 am

hey Mattz ive heard of people waiting for over 3 years for Tauranga so dont give up on it yet! i didnt get a bag with my letter haha
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 803
    Position / Job Title : Police [Retired]
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Post by 5773 Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Sam wrote:Sadly it seems that NZESF is well and truly dead now. (Sorry to derail the topic Johnno!) Hardly any posts anymore or visits Sad

I tried to keep posting, but got sick of talking to myself.
    Only drift through once a week or so now.

I recall suggesting the commissioner be personally invited to join after some uproar or other - on Trade Me, I think it was...
    If he had been invited and accepted, I think the board would have prospered greatly. It would have been a valuable tool for informal feedback.

Too late now, I guess.
    musashi
    musashi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 142
    Position / Job Title : NT Police
    Registration date : 2008-02-21

Post by musashi Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 am

SORRY about not being on line for a while, no excuses.

This topic though,to me, raises the question as to what is the best breed for a Police dog.
    Obviously if it weren't for the handler's warning shots Loui the shepherd would be dead. I also remember a matter from a number of years ago in a similar situation where the baddie killed to Police dog in pursuit. Hawkes Bay or Taupo maybe.

I think that shepherds, while and agile and adaptable dog are not necessarily the perfect dog for Policing. They are just too light.
    I know from experience having been attacked by a few dogs in the course of my duties I have really not had that much difficulty in overcoming a shepherd. They are just too small. I weigh in the region of 100kgs and have no issues in tossing a shepherd around.
    A big male shepherd goes in at at around 40kgs give or take a Kg or 2.
    A rottie on the other hand which is every bit is capable as a shepherd in ALL departments, goes in at least 15 kgs heavier with a stronger bite and, in my opinion more ticker.
    That's heaps more grunt with no loss of performance. I know what I'd rather have.
    Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Post by Johnno Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:19 am

It depends I think, whats the Rotties scenting skills and demeanor around the public like?
    musashi
    musashi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by musashi Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 am

I used to have an old Rottie for years, he was the best family dog, great with kids and visitors however was also an excellent protection dog who had an ability to be able to tell when someone's intentions weren't quite 'honorable'.

I know European Police forces use Rotties as a Police dog and find them great. All of the research indicates that they have at least the same scenting abilities as a Shepherd.
    There are a number of different breeds used throughout the world, Belgium shepherds also get a good rap however I reckon that they, like German Shepherds, are just lacking that necessary bulk to be able to be let off the lead and take on a big bloke without the handler being in the immediate vicinity.
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 803
    Position / Job Title : Police [Retired]
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Post by 5773 Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 am

I know that NZPol once did a study and decided on the shepherd as being the best all round dog for the job - there were others better at tracking, there were others better at man-work, but the Shepherd encompassed all aspects better than the rest.
    Like you, I am prejudiced, Very Happy I do favour Shepherds, having been owned by five in the course of my life.
    musashi
    musashi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by musashi Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 pm

I think that it is accepted that Shepherds are a good dog, in fact a great dog for general purpose policing, very much the Corola or Hilux of the dog world.

I just think that there are better dogs out there, the Bentley's or Range Rovers so to speak.

I used to look after my brother's shepherd many years ago and loved him, he could run for miles, was a great boy and very handsome and athletic (I'm referring to the pooch here). Loved him and was shattered when he was run over.

That being said after we acquired old Musashi our Rottie many years ago I couldn't help but being impressed. Khan the Shepherd was a big strong boy at 40kgs. Musashi went in at a lean and mean 57kg. He could run every bit as well as Khan and was every bit as athletic. Could leap fences etc and was a fantastic swimmer to boot.
    In many ways they were the same except Musashi had this massive intimidation factor, just his appearance alone was enough to deter anyone and on the few times we called upon him for protection he was awesome.
    Other police forces use different breeds for Gp policing, in Europe the Bouvier is highly thought of while the Germans love the Giant Schnauzzer. They are all good however I reckon a good Rottie has that little extra.

I would also love to see Bull Mastiffs trialled as Police dogs however I could imagine the public perception. That being said they are the only breed specifically 'designed' for that very role.

I know that in the US there is a move away from German Shepherds to the Belgium Shepherd as they are seen to be as even more athletic however as already written, I have been attacked by a number of dogs in the course of my duties and have had no issues overpowering any of them including German Shepherds.
    In a life and death situation where the dog has been let off the lead in pursuit of an aggressive offender they simply lack the firepower to overcome them.
    Rotties on the other hand (and Bull Mastiffs) do have the bulk, aggression and attitude to come out on top.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 am