NZESF.net

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
K1 10/3
chch.3rdwatch
Kakapo
Tom
madball
LEO
mike22nz
Johnno
kimmy01
homer
14 posters

Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff!

homer
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Number of posts : 6
    Position / Job Title : interested
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff! Empty Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff!

Post by homer Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 am

Hello

I was a regular on here a year or two ago, and in the process of waiting and waiting for recruitment to open up while the CM recruiting initiative took place.
    Finally got a chance to sit the PAT - had successfully passed rehearsal a month previously.
    However, when it came to test day, failed on the push ups. 31/34. Everything else no probs. Gutted. Thought, ok, well, have a stand down, which is fair enough, and then have another go.
    Sadly, my application was ended at this stage.
    Did the appeal to HQ, but no luck there.
    I have a number of questions that some of you may be able to help with. Please feel free to PM me if not wanting to post on the boards.

1) Was under the impression that generally people get to sit the PAT twice. Certainly, know of people that have had a couple of goes at it before succeeding. I'm wondering if it varies from region to region, and is at RO discretion. Any ideas?

2)How many times can people apply to join?

I attended the PAT fully expecting to pass, have no excuses for not passing - should have been fitter, I guess. But given that I passed the rehearsal a month before, thought that I was. I can understand an application being ended if an applicant turns up woefully under prepared.

Any other thoughts or comments gratefully received:)
    kimmy01
    kimmy01
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 98
    Position / Job Title : Police Applicant
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff! Empty Re: Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff!

Post by kimmy01 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 pm

So by ended, do you mean they said you could not carry on with the process at all? Or was it just that your original application had "expired" and you needed to reapply?

It definately varies from region to region as to how many times you get to do PAT. I was slightly under for my run (like you was able to do it every other day but for some unknown reason, couldn't on test day). I was however, allowed to progress through to interview and SCOPE.
    It does seem a bit strange if you have been flat out declined rather than a stand down period?
    homer
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff! Empty Re: Recruitment, PAT, whole lot of stuff!

Post by homer Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:26 am

The application was declined following test day.
    I was later told that generally people only get one chance to apply, and so there would be no further chance to reapply.
    The exception to this - HQ told me - is if someone fails on the psychometric tests, they may be allowed to reapply at a later date.
    The reason given for the declined application were concerns around my fitness.
    Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 1270
    Position / Job Title : Police & Fire
    Registration date : 2008-02-14

Post by Johnno Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:46 am

Hmmmm, out of interest, whats your age, gender and where were you planning on being posted?
    homer
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Post by homer Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 am

34, male, going for central during application.
    mike22nz
    Recruit
    Recruit

Number of posts : 11
    Position / Job Title : Auckland Reserve list. Aug2011 intake
    Registration date : 2010-10-23

Post by mike22nz Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 am

Just get real fit and start going to PAT rehearsals, seems like you might really need to prove you want it. Own the physicals try get 55 press ups 9 min 30 run etc, then talk to them? Only thing i can think of that would help you.
    homer
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Post by homer Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 pm

thanks for the that - that would have been the plan! but application has been declined, and no more allowed....just trying to get some info from others around the country re PAT resits - specifically reassessment policies.
    LEO
    LEO
    Assistant Commissioner
    Assistant Commissioner

Number of posts : 1410
    Position / Job Title : GDB
    Registration date : 2007-12-20

Post by LEO Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 am

Hmmm...when I did my testing stuff, apparently I blew the mental tests out of the water, but did 10:45 on the run...and was passed. But I had to get the run down below 10:15 to go to college...took me 6 more attempts and 6 more months.

I think it helped that I'm a 6'1" solid maori, 32yrs (at the time), and I did more press-ups and jumped higher and got higher marks than the other applicants who were 10-12yrs younger and fitter and lighter.

Since then of course the economic atmospehere has changed, 1000's of people are applying now, and RO's can be a bit more choosey and picky.
    madball
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Number of posts : 2
    Position / Job Title : wanabe recruit
    Registration date : 2011-01-09

Post by madball Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

Hi there everyone, can anyone tell me if you get a 2 in the abstract test on the actual test day are you allowed to resit at a latter date?
    I passed my pat test no problem.
    Has been 2 and 1/2 years since test.
    Tom
    Recruit
    Recruit

Number of posts : 12
    Position / Job Title : Potential Recruit
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by Tom Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 am

Hi,

You need to contact your local recruitment office and ask them if your allowed to resit. They should have told you on the phone when they originaly gave you your results as to whether you could resit again. They will probably still have you on file and it can't hurt to call and ask.
    Kakapo
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Number of posts : 3
    Position / Job Title : Probie
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Kakapo Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone had an recommendations for what to wear while out on SCOPE, i'm doing it shortly and am going to have to buy something but not sure what is most appropriate

Thanks
    chch.3rdwatch
    chch.3rdwatch
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 990
    Position / Job Title : Police - sworn
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by chch.3rdwatch Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 am

Tidy casual. I wouldn't expect any need to buy anything particularly for that. Except cake. Buy cake. Lots of it.

You need tidy clothes that will let you run or fight in the unlikely event that such a situation arises. So they should be able to be sacrificed if need be. Don't forget your undies. And cake.
    K1 10/3
    K1 10/3
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 100
    Position / Job Title : Police GDB
    Registration date : 2008-03-22

Post by K1 10/3 Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 am

chch.3rdwatch wrote:Tidy casual. I wouldn't expect any need to buy anything particularly for that. Except cake. Buy cake. Lots of it.

You need tidy clothes that will let you run or fight in the unlikely event that such a situation arises. So they should be able to be sacrificed if need be. Don't forget your undies. And cake.

Just to make what chch3rdwatch a little clearer, and as I have sent a couple of ride along/Scope personal home because of their attire.

You need good comfortable dress shoes,dress pants and an ironed collared shirt.

I have had a couple now that have turned up in skate shoes, jeans and polo shirt.

Cheesecake shop is the best. Don't skimp on the cake as your shift appraisal is based on the quality of the cake (lol)

Boston Mud cake is the best.

Tom
    Recruit
    Recruit

Number of posts : 12
    Position / Job Title : Potential Recruit
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by Tom Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:19 am

I can't wait to do SCOPE. I completed all my physical testing in April and still waiting to be contacted. I'm wanting to be based in South Auckland and was told it would be a maximum 12 week wait to hear back about doing SCOPE but sadly that was 5 months ago.
    Mattz
    Mattz
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 279
    Position / Job Title : In the pool, the Waiting Pool
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by Mattz Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 am

My scope was in 2008! And I took cake!!!
    Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Post by Johnno Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:48 am

Don't bring cake. (Or any other sort of food item for that matter.)
    Sam
    Sam
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 714
    Position / Job Title : Sloth
    Registration date : 2008-03-05

Post by Sam Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 am

Higher quality cake is always good I've found, especially when I've been the one providing it. Avoid supermarket cake or food if you can.
    LEO
    LEO
    Assistant Commissioner
    Assistant Commissioner

Post by LEO Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:18 am

This thread is cracking me up!?! And I can hear all those blue-flamers...cake? Outrageous! Why, that's bribery...corruption...we need to be transparent on these matters... Laughing
    Johnno
    Johnno
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Post by Johnno Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Actually riksta, yes. As this is the public forum I'm not going to comment further here.
    LEO
    LEO
    Assistant Commissioner
    Assistant Commissioner

Post by LEO Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 am

American Cops have donuts, we have...cake...hmmmm...cake...
    Sam
    Sam
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 714
    Position / Job Title : Sloth
    Registration date : 2008-03-05

Post by Sam Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 am

From memory, there is a thread (possibly a hijacked one) in the secure area debating cake vs. no cake for scopies. Can't seem to find it at the moment though.
    Mattz
    Mattz
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 279
    Position / Job Title : In the pool, the Waiting Pool
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by Mattz Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

The debate was also out here in the open too...

Kakapo
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Number of posts : 3
    Position / Job Title : Probie
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Kakapo Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 am

I've been laboring for sometime which doesn't call for dress shoes, would something like this be OK for scope?

http://www.asics.co.nz/footwear/walking-shoes/gel-nebraska.aspx

Gonna go for no cake... :S
    Azza
    Azza
    Constable
    Constable

Number of posts : 39
    Position / Job Title : waiting
    Registration date : 2008-02-21

Post by Azza Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:44 am

Hey ive just submited my application. How long does it usually take to hear back?
    LEO
    LEO
    Assistant Commissioner
    Assistant Commissioner

Post by LEO Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:34 am

Kakapo wrote:I've been laboring for sometime which doesn't call for dress shoes, would something like this be OK for scope?

http://www.asics.co.nz/footwear/walking-shoes/gel-nebraska.aspx

Gonna go for no cake... :S

Those shoes are fine, as long as they're clean, and you wear nice, tidy clothing.

As for the 'no cake'...I guess you're not coming to Tauranga then?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content