NZESF.net

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
JD
LEO
kimmy01
nebnab
Tom
chch.3rdwatch
hallidash
k9t9
Horse
13 posters

frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned

Horse
    Horse
    Constable
    Constable

Number of posts : 28
    Position / Job Title : Law student
    Registration date : 2009-07-30

frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned Empty frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned

Post by Horse Mon May 23, 2011 3:58 am

[color=black]To whom it may concern

I'm writing this due to what is in my opinion a poorly designed recruitment process, which overwhelms recruiting officers and leaves potential recruits frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned.

Since a very early age I have had ambitions of one day joining the New Zealand police, I returned to New Zealand after completing my OE for the past two years solely to achieve this ambition. I believe that I'm a suitable candidate; with an undergraduate degree in law and criminology, being physically fit and above all having a strong set of verbal and written communication skills.

My application was sent over four months ago in late January, since then the only contact I have had from the New Zealand police was a single call from a recruiting officer stating that further application forms would be sent soon. Over that same period I have completed the application process for two Australian police forces. Today with some sadness, I accepted an offer from one of these police forces and will commence training within the next month.

The problem as I see it is that the minimum requirements to place an application are simply too low. This leads to recruiting officers being overwhelmed with applications and unable to manage the vast number of applicants. The medical, physical and academic testing should be completed by third party organizations before initial applications are processed by recruiting officers. This is a fairer process, which allows applicants who are unlikely to be successful to move on sooner and speeds up the application process for those that are likely to be successful.
    [justify]
    k9t9
    k9t9
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 185
    Position / Job Title : GDB Counties Manukau
    Registration date : 2008-03-29

frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned Empty Re: frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned

Post by k9t9 Mon May 23, 2011 6:58 am

Have you put your concerns to your recruiting officer?
    hallidash
    Recruit
    Recruit

Number of posts : 18
    Position / Job Title : Constable
    Registration date : 2011-01-24

frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned Empty Re: frustrated, ill-informed and disillusioned

Post by hallidash Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 am

well at least we can sat congratulations, which force in aussie are you off to?
    Horse
    Horse
    Constable
    Constable

Number of posts : 28
    Position / Job Title : Law student
    Registration date : 2009-07-30

Post by Horse Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 am

I'm off to Victoria, however still waiting until next week as I still need to hear back from Queensland.
    chch.3rdwatch
    chch.3rdwatch
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 990
    Position / Job Title : Police - sworn
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by chch.3rdwatch Mon May 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Given that you have had so little contact from Police, how do you know the recruiting officer is so overwhelmed and unable to manage the vast numbers they are dealing with?

Could it be that because Police are in no hurry because we have enough staff (Suspect) and most areas have a waiting time anywhere between 1-4 years?

Just asking... Question
    Tom
    Recruit
    Recruit

Number of posts : 12
    Position / Job Title : Potential Recruit
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by Tom Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 am

I also returned from my OE and immediadtely applied to join the Police Force, as I always had an interest in being a Police officer and it was the perfect opportunity to do so. That was 2 years ago and I am still waiting for things to be completed, and I can't make it go any quicker. I have only just been allowed to complete my physical testing and now have to wait 8-12 weeks to hear from them. I was told NOT to call them until I hear from them first. They also wont let me complete any other testing they have in the mean time. Very little commnication seems to be the norm for the entire process and it frustrates the hell out of me too, so I know what your going through.

I know a couple recruits who have got fed up with the slow process and been accepted into the Police in Australia and have moved over to start almost immediately at their Police College. These people have completed all of the recruitment process and had to keep redoing their physical testing because it expires every 6 months while friends of theirs had been excepted into Police College with lower scores in testing than they got.
    nebnab
    nebnab
    Constable
    Constable

Number of posts : 33
    Position / Job Title : GDB
    Registration date : 2010-04-27

Post by nebnab Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 am

It must depend on where one is recruiting in to, I am in Tauranga and I have had a fantastic experience with the process, although long, but our RO made no promises and told us exactly what to expect. It has been two and a half years so far but I am willing to wait. I found if I kept in touch periodically whether email or phone it always kept the information flowing. And I knew exactly where I was in the process. I'm just waiting for the call up. Lets hope its the August wing. Although there are alot of Tauranga recruits in the same boat as me so as long as some of us go that's good to, even if its not me.
    kimmy01
    kimmy01
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 98
    Position / Job Title : Police Applicant
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Post by kimmy01 Tue May 24, 2011 7:31 am

That is a shame to hear although I can see why you have done it.
    How did you manage all the testing? Did you have to travel over there to do your testing and interviews etc?
    I am interested to know if you have voiced concerns to your RO and if so, what has been their response?
    LEO
    LEO
    Assistant Commissioner
    Assistant Commissioner

Number of posts : 1410
    Position / Job Title : GDB
    Registration date : 2007-12-20

Post by LEO Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Don't go to Queensland! I almost applied to them several years ago - actually, I was applying to them - and got warned off by several kiwi's who joined that force. Why?

The roster sucks; 8hr shifts, but more of them in the week, and they roster to need. For example, I was shown a roster that showed a bloke working 14 days straight, with 2 days off at the end. Four days of 6am-2pm, three shifts of 2pm-10pm, three shifts of 10pm-6am, followed immediately by two shifts of 2pm-10pm (getting home from night shift and returning to work that very afternoon) followed by early shift. For only two days off.

Rosters are only put up monthly, no less than 7 days before the end of the current month. Means you don't know what you're doing in two months time, so can't plan leave. And if you bug the rostering person too much you end up on his shit list.

Lowest pay out of all the states.

Multiple operating systems so takes longer to do a simple thing like EBA (we have only one system).

They fear corruption like no ones business (apparently still racked by it) so you don't work with the same person i.e. different partner every day.

But if you still feel the need to stay in Qsld then apply to Sunshine Coast. Aparently that's the best place. Beats me why. Very Happy

But don't listen to me - I'm off to Oz myself shortly, to Queensland ironically Wink but on LWOP.

(I should say that the info posted above I received 3-4 years ago, so things MIGHT have changed).

Last edited by riksta on Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CYA)
    JD
    Senior Constable
    Senior Constable

Number of posts : 67
    Position / Job Title : Police recruit
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by JD Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey Horse
    I have thought about applying in Australia as well as i dont want to wait around for 2+ years when i get back to get in. How easy was it applying from New Zealand did you have to travel over there much for testing or interviews and can you just go over there and straight into police college when you get the call up. I am currently on my OE and looking at applying when i get back.
    musashi
    musashi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 142
    Position / Job Title : NT Police
    Registration date : 2008-02-21

Post by musashi Wed May 25, 2011 12:25 am

Some of the comments in relation to waiting times etc stun me.

Here in Aussie you can expect to be in training within 3 months of submitting your initial application and out on the street 6 months after that. 2 and a half years waiting !?! You've go to be kidding.

I would advise the likes of Horse and anyone else thinking of crossing the ditch to look at WA, SA and the NT instead of the east coast forces.

As Riksta has written, stear clear of QLd, it's a lovely place to live however the Police force there leaves a lot to be desired. VicPol is still recovering from the soft handed approach of the Nickson years and Overland isn't much better while NSW you have to pay your own way through training.

SA, WA and NT are probably the choice of Police forces. Well paid, well equipped and a great variety of postings available, particularly in WA where you can work anywhere from the desert to the tropics, the big city to remote coastal towns.

I have a mate who is now in NTPol. He had applied for NZPol and was over here on holiday about 6 years ago. I encouraged him to apply here and he did and within months was in training and loves it here. He went back to NZ a couple of years ago, compared conditions including pay, training, equipment etc, told NZPol that he was no longer interested and sold up over there.

cheers
    Musashi
    kimmy01
    kimmy01
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 98
    Position / Job Title : Police Applicant
    Registration date : 2009-03-26

Post by kimmy01 Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 am

Thanks for that info musashi. I too am tempted to apply myself.....even if it is Australia Shocked
    dave
    Constable
    Constable

Number of posts : 36
    Position / Job Title : .
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post by dave Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 am

I was in the exact same boat, started my process for NZ police back in 2008. I rushed to get everything completed on time as we were given the impression as long as we moved along with the recruitment process in a timely manner, then we would be off to police college in no time (also considering how much effort goes in to advertisement in to recruiting as well.) Long story short, after two years of waiting, no real reliable information, all my certifications (first aid,PAT,PCT,swim cert) lapsing, I made the move over here to the United States to pursue my wanted career choice. I have no regrets what so ever and look forward to a great career over here. Also knowing that I DO have the required equipment to not only do my job correctly, but also the required tools to keep my self safe while at work and knowing if I did have to use force to subdue a person, I could use that and have my agency be behind me 100%. Looking back on the recruitment process as a whole for the NZ police not only compared to different agencies around the US, but also the world really does make it seem very disorganized and dis-functional at times. I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm being a little harsh but after completing everything in NZ compared to what a police career here in America is like, there really is no comparison, not to mention the pay differences, incentives, benefits etc etc.
    Mattz
    Mattz
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 279
    Position / Job Title : In the pool, the Waiting Pool
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by Mattz Fri May 27, 2011 5:45 am

The problem we have in NZ is there is so little funding for Police so less positions available and more new applicants than needed. The end result is disatisfaction in the process and unfortunately those who have the most to offer are the ones who seem to miss out. Ultimately it's NZ's loss.

k9t9
    k9t9
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Number of posts : 185
    Position / Job Title : GDB Counties Manukau
    Registration date : 2008-03-29

Post by k9t9 Mon May 30, 2011 3:08 am

The labour market is tight at the moment so employers everywhere are in a position to be selective, however they could be more honest with those who are not up to the standard, and also to those who have made the grade but are in limbo between too old, too male, too white etc.
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 803
    Position / Job Title : Police [Retired]
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Post by 5773 Mon May 30, 2011 6:16 am

That wont happen. Thats like SMT admitting there are quotas

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:12 pm