NZESF.net

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Satellites and Emergency Services

marlonb
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Number of posts : 7
    Position / Job Title : Marketing Coordinator
    Registration date : 2011-08-03

Satellites and Emergency Services Empty Satellites and Emergency Services

Post by marlonb Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 am

I think emergency services will greatly improve across the globe once they start embracing satellite communications technology? Do you agree? For example, VSAT services can be deployed practically anywhere. I think as far as emergency responsiveness goes, satellite communications will get remote areas connected, thus, making a critical connection to emergency services. With the earthquakes happening across the globe, like in NZ and Japan, I think it's safe to say sats are here to help us. Question
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 803
    Position / Job Title : Police [Retired]
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Satellites and Emergency Services Empty Re: Satellites and Emergency Services

Post by 5773 Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Well - Yes. It is already used to some extent, but in these days of tight financial constraint - and the cost of using satellites, what has to be sacrificed to fully utilise this technology?
    marlonb
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Post by marlonb Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:11 am

5773 wrote:Well - Yes. It is already used to some extent, but in these days of tight financial constraint - and the cost of using satellites, what has to be sacrificed to fully utilise this technology?

That's a good question. I think cost is still very much the problem for the full implementation of such a technology. Taxpayers will certainly be having added burdens once such a system is running full-on. But I guess it's only a matter of time, when the costs are gradually minimized, that we can have satellite communications helping our medical services. But there should also be a support system for such a technology because like any man-made invention, there are limitations. Smile
    Superintendant
    Superintendant

Number of posts : 803
    Position / Job Title : Police [Retired]
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Post by 5773 Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:23 am

marlonb wrote:
    That's a good question. I think cost is still very much the problem for the full implementation of such a technology. Taxpayers will certainly be having added burdens once such a system is running full-on. But I guess it's only a matter of time, when the costs are gradually minimized, that we can have satellite communications helping our medical services. But there should also be a support system for such a technology because like any man-made invention, there are limitations. Smile

Where I live, the medical staff use [or did when I was involved a year or so back] GPS and a combination cell/satellite phone.
    The problem with the phone apart ftom its size, is that there is a seamless transition between the cell-tower and the satellite.
    The user is blissfully unaware that as [s]he drove past a certain point while talking to the base, the phone changed from cents per minute to dollars per minute.
    marlonb
    SCOPE
    SCOPE

Post by marlonb Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:04 am

Speaking of GPS, there are some risks to relying on Satellite Navigation all the time. I'll post a news article I read about this once I find it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm